Wednesday 17 February 2010

64 kilos. Amazing what stress does for calorie burning rate. Silver lining in every cloud it seems.

Life is so strange. Ever since Colin retired I’ve felt I was living in slow motion, now suddenly these last few days have been at warp speed. First thing Sunday morning Colin announced he was going to visit Bridget for lunch. I said I was going to visit Bridget for lunch. He said she was his daughter. I said she was my daughter. I said well I don’t care I am going anyway you may do as you please you usually do. While I was saying this he grabbed the car keys, ran out of the house and roared off in a cloud of exhaust. Phoned for a taxi to get to the station, none available. Thought of asking Una for a lift. Too humiliating. Phoned Bridget to cancel.

Found myself contemplating the long day ahead – too wet for gardening, nothing on TV, can’t face watching Four Weddings yet again. Sent a few texts, but everyone having lunch with everyone else apparently (strange that we are never invited. Still, aren’t a we any longer, so not relevant).

Suddenly decided to text Julio – just ‘hi how are you?’ Phone promptly made strange burbling noise, stopped, then did it again – eventually twigged it was ringing, so answered it – Julio! In London no less! Said he’d had a strange feeling that I needed him and besides, had to come to London on business anyway.

Wonderful lunch with him on Monday and afternoon wandering round London. Everything looks so different when you’re in… let’s just say when you’re happy. Definite signs of spring in Hyde Park, sun shining, birds singing.

Back to earth with a bump yesterday, with Colin mooning helplessly round the house, saying he would move out if he could, but where could he go? Roderick and Gerald apparently had offered their spare room but that didn’t appeal as there is a tarantula in a tank in the corner. Suddenly hit me that he had told them, and we would have to tell everyone else.

Braced myself and started phoning round. You either tell one person, (i.e. Mavis) and let them spread it, with embellishments, or tell everyone yourself. Went for the latter option, leaving Mavis till last. After a harrowing hour and a half I’d done it. Phone rang – Una, offering Colin the use of their redundant granny flat. Just give them a couple of days to tidy it up, full of items earmarked for charity shop plus garden furniture in winter storage, apparently. He brightened up no end when I told him – said ‘I’ll be able to do something about that lawn of theirs.’

No comments: